Monday, September 20, 2010

What is Beauty?

"The greatest treasures are those invisible to the eye but found by the heart."  ~ Unknown

     My girls and I were talking the other day about the overuse of the word, 'beautiful'.  Everything and everyone is beautiful today, but what is beauty?  This is the most recent picture I have of my Hannah.  Is she considered beautiful?  Well, I may be a little biased, but yes, I think she is.
     
     But more important than her physical attributes, Hannah is beautiful on the inside.  She is giving and warm and loving and kind.  She is the first one to offer a helping hand and is a friend to all.  She doesn't see race or creed or wealth or social-standing, she is an equal opportunity friend.  She loves her life, her family and her God.  These are the things that make Hannah beautiful,  not her blonde hair and twenty-three inch waist.  
     We see movie stars all the time who are physically attractive, but do they have that internal shine?  Does their goodness and compassion reflect in their eyes?  Rarely.  And I cannot honestly say I think they are beautiful.  Society, and especially women, spend millions of dollars on cosmetic surgery, anti-aging cremes and weight loss programs, but are they truly beautiful?  No, because only our souls can determine our true beauty.  

2 comments:

  1. I am not a big TV watcher, but I have watched a show or two of "True Beauty" on TV with my big girls. Have you seen it? I was reminded of it as I read your blog. Beauty, true beauty is from the INside out...not the outside in:) Love your picture of your beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my truly BEAUTIFUL friend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete