Thursday, August 12, 2010

Generations...

     Last night I was transported to a hot summer night in 1977.  No, I didn't have a time machine, and no I was not hallucinating.  I was sitting at a concert in Nashville, TN waiting for the #1 heartthrob of the day, Justin Bieber.  My daughter, Morgan, is completely and madly in love with young Mr. Bieber and I surprised her with tickets for the show months ago.  So, after her first day of high school, I drove her, her best friend, Emily, myself and Hannah to see the superstar.
     It was odd being at a concert as a parent and thoughts of that summer night kept coming to mind.  The night I saw my own teenage idol, Shaun Cassidy.
     Though the years have changed the object of our affections, the fragile, sweet, starstruck minds of teenage girls remain the same.
Almost time...

     And for the next three hours I listened to the music of Shaun Kingston, Iyaz and Mr. Bieber and the hearty screaming of 20,000 young girls.  It was loud and hot and way too expensive.
     But on the way home, through my ringing ears, I heard the voice of my little angel.  "Thanks for everything, Mom, it was the best night of my life."
     And I felt love fill my heart in a way nothing else ever could.  No, Shaun, not even you.

No comments:

Post a Comment